Thursday, February 21, 2008

Adventures in GREEN SMOOTHIES - Jan/Feb 2008


This is my husband, Wallace. Isn't he cute? (This is how he poses for most pictures - what a turkey!) Here's some of the smoothies my son and I tried. Yes, not all the ingredients are raw, but we are working with a limited budget and using up stuff that people gave us. My #1 goal is to increase my consumption of leafy greens.

Th. 1/3, Fr. 1/4

1/2 bunch kale
2 yellow apples (tried green apples the next day)
1 orange
1 avocado
2 c water
Joseph and I like it, but it gives me horrible gas/diahreah. Won't blend small enough for a bottle. Joseph ate some on Triscuits.

Sun. 1/6

1/2 bunch kale
Apple juice - "baby" stuff that Joseph wouldn't drink plain. Pasteurized.
1 peeled cucumber
1 lemon

Use less lemon next time, but good! This is my third day of eating leafy greens, and it was a "Fast Sunday" at church, which means you don't have anything until after lunch. With being diabetic, I couldn't do that, but decided to see what would happen if I just drank this smoothie before the 3-hour service. Would you believe I actually made it all the way until 1pm WITHOUT needing to eat, and WITHOUT my blood sugar crashing?! This is HUGE for me. I was actually able to pay attention, and although I was a bit hungry, it was a genuine hunger for healthy foods, not that crack-y shakey hunger that gives you a headache and weak, clumsy movements.

Mon. 1/7

2c Strawberries
2 bananas
6-7 kale leaves, no stems

YUM! Joseph ate a coffee cup-full by the spoon!

2c mangoes
kale - 1/2 bunch
2c water
peeled cucumber

YUM! Joseph didn't like.

Tu. 1/8

All leaves from a bunch of bok choy
2c mangoes
1 cucumber (peel next time!)
2 c water

Not very tasty, but tolerable. Joseph didn't like. I don't think he likes mangoes. Improved with pasteurized grape juice but not much.

Wed. 1/9

6 leaves kale
2-3c strawberries
1c mangoes
1 peeled cucumber

You can hardly taste the mangoes - not sure if that's worth it to put 'em in. Good! Joseph drank 6 oz. too.

Th. 1/10
Morning:
Kale
Strawberry

Evening:
turnip greens
1 apple
1 orange
1 cucumber (unpeeled)

Tasted ok but gave me a fasting blood sugar of 102 and the runs. Joseph didn't like.

Fr. 1/11

1 bunch Romaine
1 12-0z bag frozen Raspberries
1 avocado
1 banana

Sa. 1/12

1 bunch Romaine
1 12-oz. bag frozen Blueberries
1 avocado
1 banana

Agreed with me, but I was hoping the taste would be better. Surprisingly, romaine is more bitter than kale. Joseph didn't like either of the romaine smoothies either.

Sa. 1/12 with my MIL who is also diabetic:

Handfull kale
1 avocado
Juice of 1 lemon
1 apple
1 banana
Chives
Water

Good! Thin, and easy down. Joseph ate a little - not really interested - too "chivey," I think, for him. My MIL's ten year-old and 14-year old love green smoothies now too.

Sun. 1/13

1 bunch Turnip greens
1 pear
1/2 green apple
avocado

Not bad for turnip greens, but it has a Wasabi-like spiciness that is undesireable.

WALLACE'S CREATION!

1/2 c water
12-16oz. "Berry Medley" frozen bag (straw-, rasp-, blue-, and blackberries) Great Value brand from Wal-Mart - but any brand will do!
1 banana

DELICIOUS!

ANOTHER WALLACE CREATION!

1/2 c water
12 oz. blueberries, frozen
1 banana

AWESOME! Go easy on the water for the fullest flavor.

WALLACE CREATION #3
Blend 1 honeydew melon.

I asked him how small you had to cut it up, and he said "normal" slices - more like scooped out of the melon and into the blender. Add no water. I thought this creation was SO good. It was like nectar from the Gods. I HATE melons, something about the crunchy/juicy texture together is gross to me, but blended it is creamy like milk and tastes delicious.

Mo. 1/14

3 kiwis
3 celery sticks
1 banana
2c water

Interesting! Thin! Seems a bit garlicky. The taste is immediately very good, but gets overwhelming after 1 tall glass. Had to split it up into 2-3 servings throughout the day - then it is delicious! Especially chilled!

Tu. 1/15
1 ripe pear
1 ripe banana
1/2 head romaine
1 avocado

VERY good! Especially cold!

No comments: